Can you tell us more about the SPE team and their backgrounds?
Imran Ali (Founder/CEO)
Imran Ali is a highly accomplished professional in the field of environmental management and environmental sustainability. His diverse background, starting in banking at Citibank SSSB, National Health Service and transitioning to environmental sectors, provides him with a unique set of skills and perspectives that likely contribute to his success.
His PRINCE II Practitioner credentials show that he is well-versed in project management methodologies, which can be critical in the environmental sector for the planning and execution of waste management initiatives. Additionally, his MBA signifies a strong understanding of business strategy, operations, and leadership, which would be beneficial in overseeing projects and making strategic decisions.
Imran has used his expertise and passion for renewable energy and sustainable waste management to fight against issues like landfill sites and clinical waste. His contributions to recycling initiatives and nature-based projects also indicate a dedication to promoting sustainability and protecting the environment.
His work, which spans the globe, suggests a broad understanding of various environmental contexts and regulations, which is a crucial aspect of effective waste management strategies. Imran Ali is a significant contributor to the field, and his efforts are essential in the fight against climate change and promoting a more sustainable future.
Robert Greene (Founder CFO/CTO)
Robert Greene's extensive experience in business development and administration across the world is a testament to his versatile skill set and broad understanding of diverse business landscapes. His background in senior management and advisory roles within several retail sectors suggests a deep knowledge of diverse industries, strategic planning, and operational efficiency.
As a founder and co-founder of various ventures, Robert has demonstrated entrepreneurship and leadership skills. This experience likely involves identifying opportunities, developing, and executing business strategies, and managing teams and resources efficiently to achieve business goals.
His role as a co-founder and seed investor of SPE underscores his commitment to environmentally driven innovations. By focusing on disrupting and advancing outdated methodologies in carbon markets, Robert is contributing significantly to the fight against climate change. His vision aligns with the global urgency to transition to low-carbon economies and highlights his dedication to sustainable business practices.
The ability to combine his business acumen with environmental consciousness is indeed commendable. It signifies a forward-thinking approach that not only seeks to achieve business success but also to make a positive impact on the environment. Such leaders are critical in today's business world, where sustainability and environmental responsibility have become increasingly important.
Dr Usman Bajwa (Head of Operations (Forestry)
Dr. Usman Bajwa, with his position as the Head of Operations (Forestry) and previous high-level management at the Savory Institute, brings valuable expertise to the field of sustainable land management and carbon sequestration. His education in animal physiology (AP) and veterinary science would lend a unique perspective on the interaction between wildlife and their environments, particularly in the context of regenerative agriculture.
His expertise in maximising carbon sequestration through atmospheric methods under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and the 26th UN Climate Change Conference of the Parties (COP26) aligns with global efforts to mitigate climate change. These conventions aim to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and enhance natural carbon sinks, areas that absorb more carbon than they release.
Dr. Bajwa's work on regenerative techniques like Holistic Planned Grazing, Land Management, Paradoxical Agriculture, Agroforestry, and Urban Forestry showcases his commitment to sustainable and innovative practices.
• Holistic Planned Grazing is a method that mimics natural grazing patterns to improve soil health and biodiversity.
• Land Management refers to the process of managing the use and development of land resources in a sustainable way.
• Paradoxical Agriculture, while not a standard term in my knowledge base as of my training cut-off in September 2021, could refer to unconventional or innovative farming techniques that challenge traditional agricultural norms.
• Agroforestry integrates trees into farming systems to improve biodiversity, enhance carbon sequestration, and provide additional economic benefits to farmers.
• Urban Forestry involves the management of trees in urban settings for the purpose of improving the urban environment.
Together, these techniques indicate a comprehensive approach to sustainable land use that balances productivity with environmental health. His work is contributing to the global fight against climate change by promoting practices that not only reduce carbon emissions but also enhance carbon sinks. Dr. Bajwa's role is crucial in the ongoing efforts to transition towards more sustainable and resilient agricultural systems.
Kumudini Bandara (Operations Manager)
Kumudini Bandara, with over 20 years of experience in banking, brings a wealth of knowledge and expertise to the financial sector. As an Associate member of the Institute of Bankers of Sri Lanka, she is recognized as a professional in her field, indicating a high level of competence and adherence to industry standards.
Her Master of Business Administration from Anglia Ruskin University in the UK further supports her deep understanding of business practices and management. This, coupled with her extensive experience in banking, positions her as a leader in the field, capable of making informed decisions and offering strategic advice.
The awards she received from Toastmasters International, including the Advanced Communicator Silver (ACS) and Advanced Leader Bronze (ALB), speak to her skills in public speaking, leadership, and communication. These are critical skills for successful management and effective collaboration for SavePlanetEarth.
As a Fundamental and Technical Analyst for Gold, Kumudini has specialized knowledge in the precious metals market. This role requires a deep understanding of market trends, economic indicators, and technical patterns, allowing her to provide informed analyses and forecasts.
Her role as an Investment Advisor signifies her ability to provide strategic advice to clients or organizations on investment opportunities. She would need to stay up-to-date with market trends, understand financial products, and be able to analyze and interpret complex financial information.
Kumudini Bandara's diverse skill set, and extensive experience make her a valuable asset in the financial industry, both in Sri Lanka and globally.
Dr. Thorsten Wuest (Sustainability Manager - Green Supply Chains)
Dr. Thorsten Wuest, as the Sustainability Manager focusing on Green Supply Chain and a Professor at West Virginia University, is undoubtedly an influential figure in the fields of sustainable manufacturing and academia.
His recognition among SME's 20 most influential professors in Smart Manufacturing signifies his significant contributions to this field. Smart Manufacturing aims to fully-integrate all aspects of manufacturing through the use of data and technology, leading to improved efficiency and sustainability. Dr. Wuest's role in this area shows his commitment to advancing innovative, sustainable solutions in the manufacturing sector.
His scholarly contributions, including co-authoring three books and over 150 refereed journal and conference articles, underline his deep expertise and thought leadership. The fact that these works have gathered over 5,000 citations to date indicates their importance and influence in the academic and professional community.
His features in well-respected media outlets such as Forbes, Futurism, IndustryWeek, the World Economic Forum (WEF), CBC Radio, and the World Manufacturing Forum (WMF) further underscore his prominence and impact in his field. These outlets provide him with a platform to share his insights and research with a wider audience, influencing discussions and practices around sustainable manufacturing and green supply chains on a global scale.
Dr. Wuest's work is critical in the current global context, where there is a growing need to transition towards more sustainable and efficient manufacturing practices to mitigate climate change and protect the environment. His efforts in the field of Smart Manufacturing and Green Supply Chains are contributing to these goals and shaping the future of the manufacturing sector.
Dr. Priyantha Wijesooriya (Technical Advisor)
Dr. Priyantha Wijesooriya is a highly accomplished Solar and Renewable Energy Engineer with significant contributions to sustainable futures and low-carbon societies. With an educational background in Energy Engineering, including a B.Sc, M.S, and a Ph.D. focused on Dispatch Optimization & Future Economics, he possesses a deep understanding of renewable energy systems and sustainable development.
His role as a Solar Energy Systems Trainer and Project Developer, coupled with his experience in Industrial Management, underscores his diverse skill set in both technical and managerial domains. His publications on forward-thinking topics such as "Inter-generational Equities & Futuristic Economics" and "Sustaining Frugality and Resource Rights of the Unborn" further demonstrate his commitment to sustainability and resource management for future generations.
His initiative, Solar Full Cycle (SFC), tackles an often-overlooked aspect of renewable energy - the challenge of solar waste. By focusing on effective recycling solutions for solar panels and auxiliaries, he is contributing to a more holistic approach to green energy technologies.
His work as the founding president of the Solar Industries Association of Sri Lanka (SIA-SL) and founder of SELCO Sri Lanka Program shows his leadership in promoting solar energy in Sri Lanka. Furthermore, his roles as an Accredited Consultant to the Sustainable Energy Authority of Sri Lanka (SL-SEA) and lead design engineer for a 100-MW Utility-scale Solar Park for the Government of Sri Lanka solidify his influence in shaping the country's renewable energy landscape.
With his previous experiences ranging from serving as the 1st CEO of SELCO Sri Lanka, to working as a solar design engineer for IoM, and consulting for the World Bank RERED solar outreach program and Asian Development Bank (ADB), Dr. Wijesooriya brings a wealth of expertise to every project he undertakes.
His current pursuits in Solar PV storage & dispatchable designs, biomass, and wind energy development, as well as his engagement in reforestation activities, reinforce his commitment to diverse and sustainable energy solutions.
Mentored by prominent figures such as Sir Arthur C. Clarke, Neville Williams, David Freeman, and Richard Hansen, Dr. Wijesooriya stands as a prominent figure in the renewable energy field, championing sustainable practices and low-carbon solutions.
This comprehensive team brings together a diverse range of expertise, including:
• Mangrove (Blue Carbon) Experts: These specialists are key in understanding and conserving mangrove ecosystems, which are critical for carbon sequestration, coastal protection, and supporting biodiversity.
• Agriculture Experts: Professionals in this field can implement and advise on sustainable farming practices, contributing to food security, rural development, and mitigation of climate change.
• AI and Machine Learning Specialists: These experts can design and implement intelligent systems to analyze large amounts of data, optimize processes, predict patterns, and support decision-making in various environmental applications.
• LiDAR and Multispectral Imaging Specialists: These experts can collect and analyze high-resolution spatial data to monitor and manage natural resources, assess biodiversity, and detect changes in ecosystems.
• Biodiversity Experts: These professionals focus on the study and preservation of biological diversity, contributing to the conservation of species, ecosystems, and genetic diversity.
• Carbon Credit Experts: These experts understand the intricacies of carbon markets, can assess carbon footprints, and develop strategies to offset carbon emissions through various mechanisms like afforestation, reforestation, or renewable energy projects.
• ISO and ESG Strategy Experts: These specialists are crucial in implementing internationally recognized standards for environmental management (ISO 14001) and advising on Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) strategies to improve sustainability and corporate responsibility.
• Technology Experts: Our Blockchain Experts enhance our work by leveraging the power of blockchain technology. They ensure transparency, efficiency, and security in our processes and transactions, including carbon credit trading and project financing.
• Technical Advisors: Our Technical Advisors in the areas of Climate and Environment possess deep scientific knowledge and practical experience in environmental science, climate change mitigation and adaptation, and sustainable development. They provide invaluable guidance in the technical aspects of our projects, from data analysis and modeling to technology selection and implementation. Using their profound understanding of ecological systems, they help us design and execute projects that are scientifically sound, effective, and sustainable.
• Legislation Advisors: Our Legislation Advisors in Climate and Environment are legal experts with a special focus on environmental law, climate policy, and related regulations. They guide us through the intricate landscape of local, national, and international environmental legislation, ensuring our initiatives are compliant with all relevant laws and regulations. Their expertise is crucial in navigating complex legal frameworks, advocating for beneficial policies, and ensuring that our actions are not just environmentally sound, but also legally robust.
Each of these professionals plays a key role in addressing the multifaceted challenges of climate change and environmental conservation. Their combined expertise provides a comprehensive approach to achieving sustainability goals, reducing carbon footprints, and promoting responsible stewardship of our planet's resources. Utilizing technical tools and methodologies like remote sensing, machine learning algorithms, GIS (Geographic Information Systems), carbon auditing, and sustainable development metrics, they contribute to the creation of robust, science-based strategies for a more sustainable future.